SubjectRe: READ/WRITE CDROM
On Mon, Dec 13 1999, Steve Underwood wrote:
> You seem to imply that a DVD-RAM can be treated like a floptical disk, which
> I don't think was your intention. The DVD-RAM still has a severe limit on
> write cycles, like CD-RW. Using it for a normal file system, with endless
> meta-data updates, would wear the disk out ultra quick.

I meant to imply that a DVD-RAM can be treated like a floptical
disk (or normal disk) as seen from the kernel. What the user does
with it is a different matter.

> the writes is very important. All in all CD-RW seems a pretty flaky
> technology.

I haven't gotten near to 1000 write limit yet, but I've had no
problems what so ever.

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
* Linux CD-ROM Maintainer