SubjectRe: Supporting Macintosh FinderInfo/Resource Fork in Linux NWFS 2.0
Date
Jeff V. Merkey writes the following:
>You just verified that bash is striping the 8th bit. These codes are

You are really showing your cluelessness here. First with the Jeopardy
quotes. Then with your assumption that your shell is solely responsible for
what shows up on your screen.

What *you* just verified is that *your* terminal and/or your mailreader is
not showing non-ASCII characters. I saw them just fine so I know they're
passing through the mailing list.

HERE ARE SOME FREE CLUES:

1. Your shell does not control your terminal! The shell just runs programs.
It may provide your program with some well-known initial state, but after
that your program is free to manipulate the terminal however it wants WITHOUT
THE SHELL'S INVOLVEMENT.

The problems you are experiencing exist between YOUR TERMINAL and YOUR
PROGRAM. Your shell has zero responsibility. Now I want you to go to the
blackboard and write "THE SHELL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE" 50 times.

Ah good, you're back. Now that you understand that your shell is irrelevant,
let's talk about some things that are relevant:

1. Your terminal type!
2. The value of your TERM environment variable
3. The contents of your termcap and terminfo entries
4. What the fuck you think this might have to do with the kernel and why you
think you're too important to post your obvious unix-newbie questions on
comp.unix.programmer or comp.os.linux.misc

There are people who would try to help you if you wouldn't jump to incorrect
conclusions based on principles that are so far off base we can't even figure
out how you got there.

>the box drawing symbols for ASCII -- that's what they output for you --

Here's another free clue: ASCII is a 7-bit character set whose "line-drawing"
characters are the hyphen, underscore, and pipe (and slash and backslash for
diagonals!). The characters you are thinking of do not exist in plain ASCII.
They only exist in various mutually-incompatible extensions, *one* of which
is the old PC ROM character set.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.101 / U:0.052 seconds]