    SubjectRe: Number of sound channels?
    On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 02:04:36AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > This is kind of an unrelated question. Has anyone ever
    > > implemented software mixing such that /dev/dsp can be opened
    > > for output multiple times? Or is that functionality going
    > > to remain strictly the domain of esd?
    > The commercial OSS did. We regard it as the wrong answer.

    Care to elaborate why? Or are you only referring to when the driver is
    attempting s/w mixing.

    > Esd is one approach although esd itself is currently very very limited
    > in its facilities. For example many of my sound cards have 6 or 8
    > channels, but esd only knows how to use one and always software mix
    > for it. Needless to say this isnt ideal

    I'd have thought you'd want to be able to open the soundcard as many
    times as you want and 'grab' a subset of the available channels.

    The only other approach would be to allow one open, export all channels,
    and then have a super-esd that subsequently re-exports to apps.

    Derek Fawcus
    Spider Software Ltd. +44 (0) 131 475 7034
    PGP/GnuPG Keys available

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:154.160 seconds]