    SubjectRe: [RFC] proposed IPC changes to support 32-bit UIDs
    Alan:

    > > suggestion... my real question was whether or not we had to support libc5
    > > compiles at all. If we do, then we can't rename any structures in the
    > > kernel include files. If we don't, then whatever is in the kernel source
    >
    > Well we havent quite killed off libc4 yet (and in fact I know ISP boxes
    > running libc4 which is going to be very funny in about 29 days)

    Hmm...

    Anyway, I'll fix up the IPC stuff to preserve backwards compatibility with
    libc5; I'm afraid I'm too young to remember libc4 :)

    Does this mean that I can't rename the system calls from getuid to
    getuid16, etc., either? (at worst, my changes to unistd.h may cause
    problems to those who recompile the C library against the new kernel
    headers, but shouldn't affect ordinary program compiles)

    Thanks,
    Chris Wing
    wingc@engin.umich.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.018 / U:31.148 seconds]