SubjectRe: unreadable doc files in kernel tarball

[Mike Coleman]
[Peter Samuelson <peter@wire.cadcamlab.org>]
> > Don't be silly. This only affects you if you untar as a different
> > user than you build as. And if you do that, you will have a
> > read-only source directory which you can't build in anyway.
[Mike Coleman]
> I untar as root, since I don't allow anyone else to write to
> /usr/src. So the file ends up being readable only by root. I'd like
> to be able to peruse the bloody source without su'ing to root,
> though.

OK, I see you and I use the source for two different things. I use it
to build kernels. As such, I always untar as my normal userid. It
never occurred to me that some people just like to have it around to
look at.

And I never said it wasn't a problem that Linus had these files mode
600. I just thought asking him to `chmod -R go+rX' every kernel
release was maybe a bit overboard. Come to think of it, maybe the
`chmod' should become a part of your untar process.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>