    SubjectRe: toplevel Makefile bug and simple fix

    >I don't know if the other glibc-based distributions put the symlinks
    >back in. It's possible. I still say that if your /usr/include/linux
    >is a dangling symlink, it is a bug in your headers, not a bug in the
    >kernel. Obviously many solutions are possible: a correct symlink
    >/usr/include/linux, a correct symlink /usr/src/linux, a real directory
    >/usr/include/linux, a real directory /usr/src/linux/include (possibly
    >without the rest of the source tree)....

    Sorry, I still maintain that it's a bug in the Makefiles because the kernel
    and the "scripts" it comes with should be able to build in it's own self
    contained directory... I don't have a /usr/src/linux directory, so yeah, I
    do have dangling symlinks /usr/include/{linux,asm} which prevent it from
    building... That's not the point... I'm not going to argue whether
    /usr/include/{linux,asm} should be symlinks or real directories.. It's
    irrelevent to this simple problem..

    split-include.c, which is where the build dies if there is no
    /usr/include/linux (be it a symlink, real directory or whatever), should
    use the header files for the kernel that it came with.. i.e. It should
    get the proper header files from {my_kernel_src_dir}/include/linux... Not
    from /usr/include/linux which is a symlink into
    /usr/src/linux/include/linux which who knows what kernel version is in
    /usr/src/linux...

    Say I'm building several kernel source trees and I have them all in
    /usr/src... Let's say in /usr/src I have the kernel source dirs
    linux-2.0.xx, linux-2.2.xx, and linux-2.3.xx.. First, I don't want to have
    to muck with making /usr/src/linux a symlink to /usr/src/linux-x.x.x every
    time I go and build a kernel so that split-include.c gets the correct
    header files.. Second, I may want to run more than one kernel build at a
    time... If I have /usr/src/linux as a symlink to linux-2.0.xx and I'm
    building that kernel and the kernel in linux-2.3.xx at the same time,
    linux-2.3.xx is going to use the wrong header files for split-include.c..
    The rest of the kernel builds this way using -I$(HPATH) the "scripts"
    also...

    I don't see why it should be a big deal just to add -I$(HPATH) to HOSTCC in
    the Makefile...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:6.709 / U:0.052 seconds]