    SubjectMachine lockup bug report.

    I have a bug to report. Here it is:
    Gary =)

    [1.] One line summary of the problem:

    Complete machine lockup when trying to dd a CD image to a local
    hard drive.

    [2.] Full description of the problem/report:

    When using the command `dd if=/dev/cdrom of=local/images/image.iso`
    within my home directory, the machine locked up. X was still
    displayed, but unresponsive. Virtual consoles not working,
    couldn't telnet into machine (over ethernet) or even ping it.
    Even the magic sysrq key didn't work (tried to sync/umount the

    When issuing the command from a virtual console, the message:
    `hdb: Timeout waiting for DMA' is displayed as the machine locks.

    I managed to get identical crashes about six times, all just after
    a reboot.

    I am able to mount and read this particular CD, and have
    done inbetween crashes. After mounting and umounting the CD, I
    was able to dd the image from it. I have dd'd images from
    different CD's before (on the same kernel and hardware). However,
    I managed to get the same crash by mounting the CD.

    All these actions were performed under a user account (not root).

    My home directory is mounted over NFS from another Linux box;
    the directory `local' in my home directory is a symlink to a
    partition on my local hard drive.

    The CDROM is a Toshiba IDE drive, as slave. It is the only ide
    device in the system.

    [3.] Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel):

    [4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version):

    Linux version 2.2.13 (root@eepc-pss3) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
    19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #5 SMP Tue Nov 2 17:11:10 GMT 1999

    [5.] Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
    resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt)

    [6.] A small shell script or example program which triggers the
    problem (if possible)

    [7.] Environment

    [7.1.] Software (add the output of the ver_linux script here)

    -- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or looks
    -- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
    Linux eepc-pss3 2.2.13 #5 SMP Tue Nov 2 17:11:10 GMT 1999 i686 unknown
    Kernel modules 2.1.121
    Gnu C egcs-2.91.66
    Linux C Library*
    Dynamic linker ldd (GNU libc) 2.1.2
    Procps 2.0.4
    Mount 2.9u
    Net-tools 1.53
    Console-tools 1999.03.02
    Sh-utils 2.0
    Sh-utils Parker.
    Sh-utils Inc.
    Sh-utils NO
    Sh-utils PURPOSE.
    cat: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
    Modules Loaded

    [7.2.] Processor information (from /proc/cpuinfo):

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 6
    model : 1
    model name : AMD-K7(tm) Processor
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 648.752790
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    sep_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr 6 mce cx8 sep mtrr pge 14 cmov
    fcmov 22 mmx 30 3dnow
    bogomips : 647.17

    [7.3.] Module information (from /proc/modules):

    Not running a modular kernel.

    [7.4.] SCSI information (from /proc/scsi/scsi)

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    Vendor: QUANTUM Model: ATLAS IV 18 WLS Rev: 0808

    Card is an Adaptec AHA2940UW, which has been in use for several
    years with no problems.

    [7.5.] Other information that might be relevant to the problem
    (please look in /proc and include all information that you
    think to be relevant):

    Kernel has been running constantly for 6 days with no problems.
    Only difference between my 2.2.12 configuration and my 2.2.13
    configuration is that I included ntfs.

    [X.] Other notes, patches, fixes, workarounds:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.031 / U:7.312 seconds]