    SubjectRe: toplevel Makefile bug and simple fix

    [Peter Samuelson <peter@wire.cadcamlab.org>]
    [paulsch@us.ibm.com]
    > Every distro I've ever played with has symlinks for
    > /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm into their respective
    > directories in /usr/src/linux/include.. So I've just assumed that
    > that's the right way to do it...

    Apparently you haven't played with Debian recently:

    $ ls -ld /usr/include/{linux,asm}{,/errno.h}
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 3 05:34 /usr/include/asm
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6162 Apr 14 1997 /usr/include/asm/errno.h
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 20480 Nov 3 05:34 /usr/include/linux
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 305 Jun 12 1997 /usr/include/linux/errno.h
    $

    The symlinks used to be the right way to do it. But I believe some
    time ago the glibc maintainers decided to copy the kernel headers
    rather than continue to symlink them. There are good points and bad
    points about doing this (I'm not sure I agree with Linus and the glibc
    people), but the decision has been made.

    I don't know if the other glibc-based distributions put the symlinks
    back in. It's possible. I still say that if your /usr/include/linux
    is a dangling symlink, it is a bug in your headers, not a bug in the
    kernel. Obviously many solutions are possible: a correct symlink
    /usr/include/linux, a correct symlink /usr/src/linux, a real directory
    /usr/include/linux, a real directory /usr/src/linux/include (possibly
    without the rest of the source tree)....

    --
    Peter Samuelson
    <sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>