SubjectRe: NFS Client Problems with 2.2.12
On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > We have a nasty problem with the linux NFS client code in the late
> > 2.2.1x Kernels. It results in file corruption.
> > As far as I investigated it, it is an AIX NFS Server bug, but maybe
> > there is a way around it, without loosing the attribute cache. (I.e.
> > Mounting noac is a bug work-around)
>
> It looks like an AIX server bug and has been repeatedly reported to IBM. If you
> have any kind of maintenance contract with IBM please file a bug report
> against it. Since its file corruption mark the priority right up and scream
> at people.

It _seems_ like IBM has released a patch too, now, at least they released
a patch concerning their NFS-server some days ago, without any description
what-so-ever. Possibly this could be our long awaited bug... I haven't
tested it yet, though, so I'm not sure...

bos.net.nfs.client.4.3.2.10 os 675840

Try it out and report success/failure here... And please, CC me.

> > compiled locally. (If you compare it, some patterns are shifted by one,
> > but the total length of the exceutable is the same) The binary dumps
> > core, btw.
>
> Yes
>
> > + Solaris may have a problem, too.
>
> Solaris did, but unlike IBM they fixed it quite a while back and made
> patches available on SunSolve. IBM appear to use the Sun code but without
> the fixes. (at least the traces are so similar from Sun and IBM it sure
> looks the same code base).

Patches are available for virtually all versions of SunOS, except for one,
where a test-patch is available...

> > Unfortunatly IBM is supporting 2.2.5(?) (on an netfinity server, which
> > is present in this environment) But one can _not_ reproduce it with this
> > kernel.
>
> It will happen with 2.2.5 as well. It seems to be partly timing related.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.040 / U:0.196 seconds]