SubjectRE: Unadjusted system time
Date

> A jump in the the system time breaks so many things that I'd argue you
> should simply not do it except perhaps at boot time. A gradual slew is
> reasonable, and there are programs like ntptime that can help you with
> that. Though they don't work either in many cases, like when you dial
> up once every few days and your system has drifted 15 minutes in the
> meantime.
>
> -- Jamie

In my opinion, programs that rely on special features of the system clock
should enforce those requirements themselves. This is especially true for
programs that are intended to be portable.

I wrote a 151 line implementation of a monotonic, safe clock for the
company I work for. Any program that implements timers and such and doesn't
sanitize the clock will get what it deserves.

DS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.078 / U:0.100 seconds]