    SubjectRe: [patch] bootmem-2.3.25-A0
    Date
    Ingo Molnar writes:
    > i've fixed this already in my tree (patch attached) - but i do not think
    > this should make any difference. bootmem.c does not deal with vmalloced or
    > ioremapped memory, so __pa/__va should be identical to virt_to_phys /
    > phys_to_virt.

    However, the attached patch would totally stuff certainly the ARM architecture
    and quite possibly any other architecture whos physical memory did not start
    at zero - the bitmap would become unnecessarily huge.

    There are two ways of fixing this:

    1. Define something which returns an offset into physical memory
    2. Pass a parameter into init_bootmem which is the start of physical
    memory and use the virt_to_phys routines.

    As an aside, shouldn't __va be renamed to __phys_to_virt if it is a
    lower-level version of phys_to_virt to follow the apparant standard
    naming conventions in the Linux kernel?
    _____
    | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
    / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.022 / U:0.044 seconds]