SubjectRe: Putting PCI-class/vendor/deviceinfo into source of PCI-drivers
Date
Magnus Damm <damm@kieraypc01.p.y.ki.era.ericsson.se> wrote:
>> Any comments to that?
> I think stuff like that should be outside the kernel.
> Some kind of PCI detection script with a HUGE database.

We do this for Caldera OpenLinux 2.3. And an external maintained list
is a PITA to be frank.

I generate this list from the kernelsources by using a rather large
perlscript. There are several different kinds of specifying PCI ids
within the source, either in tables, or direct, by using for() loops
and more.

I do this for _every_ new patchlevel.

> To add new hardware ID:s to the driver and recompile would
> sure work for you. And for me. I would do the same thing.

The module has to be updated anyway, if the detection code has to
detect new Ids.

So by using one PCI id resource within the module itself, there is
only one place to maintain.

> But in the long run I think we must have some central database.

Yes, but autogenerated from the kernelsourcetree!

I would suggest:
- Add easy parsable pci ids to the modules.
> Autogenerate a global list of IDs from the sourcecode and
- Use usermode scripts to load the modules.

Ciao, Marcus
--
_____ ___
/ __/____/ / Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.076 / U:0.712 seconds]