    Date (Tom Kelly) writes:

    > Hi!
    > I've been hacking my way around the 2.2.13 TCP stack and I'm a bit
    > confused about how the concurrency issues with the shared data (tcp_opt)
    > in the socket struct are dealt with. For example, what ensures that the
    > congestion window decisions are atomic?
    > Anyone got any pointers for documentation or a quick overview?

    The socket lock (sock_readers) ensures this. From user context
    the kernel lock guarantees single entry as long as you don't sleep,
    when you sleep (e.g. in a user space access) the TCP code is careful
    enough to recheck everything. As long as sock_readers is > 0 the
    network bh context rcv_* functions will not be executed for new
    arriving packets, they are queued in the backlog instead and processed
    in the release_sock.

    In 2.3 lock_sock also does the synchronization for user context that
    the big kernel lock does in 2.2.

    Hope this help,

    This is like TV. I don't like TV.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:59.424 seconds]