    SubjectRe: 2.3.29: ramdisk still broken.
    On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > The way I see it, the ramdisk used to work by making it's data persistent
    > in the buffer cache. Today, data doesn't live in the buffer cache, it
    > lives in the page cache. Ergo, the task at hand is to figure out how
    > to make data in the page cache persistent rather than copying that data
    > back and forth.

    Another view of the situation may be - ramdisk used to be static but then
    started to rely on buffer cache. Now it can no longer rely on buffer
    cache. Therefore, shouldn't it go back to being static?

    This is, of course, only because I don't understand how
    do_generic_file_read() works. If anyone in the world does understand it
    (and Linux page cache in general) then there should be a bit more traffic
    (and patches with detailed explanations) on this thread... :)

    Btw, why doesn't someone start writing "Linux Page/Buffer Cache Internals"
    book like the "Linux VFS" or "NFSd" books that Neil Brown wrote:

    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/oss/linux-commentary/

    Regards,
    Tigran.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:3.228 / U:0.124 seconds]