SubjectRe: Linux needs flexible security

> > Ioctls should be banned. They make network transparent remote exec
> > hard, for example. Disabling all ioctls for user-level applications
> > should not hurt too much.... [clapity clap] Hmm, it will: console
> > operations are done using ioctls. Ok, disallowing ioctls is not possible.
> plan9 solved this with ctl files. i don't see why linux shouldn't move
> the same way in order to reap the benefits of distributable computing.
> how do systems like mosix work around ioctl problems?

Callbacks: you send ioctl over network and if remote side needs to
peek memory, sends "I want to peek at address" over network.
PS: Yes, plan-9 like solution would be nicer. Even newioctl(fd, ptr,
length) would be nicer :-).
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+