    SubjectRe: Linux needs flexible security

    > > Ioctls should be banned. They make network transparent remote exec
    > > hard, for example. Disabling all ioctls for user-level applications
    > > should not hurt too much.... [clapity clap] Hmm, it will: console
    > > operations are done using ioctls. Ok, disallowing ioctls is not possible.
    > plan9 solved this with ctl files. i don't see why linux shouldn't move
    > the same way in order to reap the benefits of distributable computing.
    > how do systems like mosix work around ioctl problems?

    Callbacks: you send ioctl over network and if remote side needs to
    peek memory, sends "I want to peek at address" over network.
    PS: Yes, plan-9 like solution would be nicer. Even newioctl(fd, ptr,
    length) would be nicer :-).
    The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:33.280 seconds]