    SubjectRe: hdc=ide-scsi doesn't work in 2.3
    On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Gert Vervoort wrote:
    > Giving the option "hdc=ide-scsi" to the kernel doesn't work in 2.3.
    > The ide-cdrom driver is used for my CD-RW on hdc, instead of the
    > ide-scsi
    > driver which is needed for writing CD's.
    > In 2.2 this works without any problems.

    The problem, at least in latter 2.3 kernels, appears to be that you
    can't have both ide cdrom support and ide-scsi support. Do you have
    both types of support built into the kernel? If so, I've found two
    work-arounds, depending on your preferences.

    The first work-around is to disable ide cdrom support entirely.
    Disabling that support will allow use of the ide-scsi CDRW drive. The
    regular ATAPI IDE CDROM drive will appear as a device on the faux scsi
    chain. This is the option I eventually chose.

    The second work-around is to build ide cdrom support and ide-scsi
    support both as modular. You will end up adding the appropriate modules
    and removing the ones you don't want as needed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.042 / U:59.624 seconds]