    SubjectRe: Hot PCI bus plugging
    > > Looks like noone brought up the subject of resource allocation, so I will.
    > > I don't know much about the bios and PCI as far as this goes, but doesn't
    > > the bios assign io/mem/irq at boot up? How would this work on hot plug pci?
    > > Who or what assigns the resources?
    > Yes you have a very good point there, that I mentioned in a private
    > e-mail. The BIOS does that at bootup, so we would have to assume
    > control of that ourselves. That wouldn't be too difficult, but would
    > add some housekeeping to the PCI layers -- mainly allocating and keeping
    > track of IRQs and base addresses/ranges. We also have to be careful
    > to make sure we don't share IRQs with devices that don't want to share
    > them -- introducing the possibility the user could insert a card that
    > can't get an IRQ (ouch) because there are none available. (Dang those
    > broken cards that don't share.. Why doesn't everybody just read the
    > friggin' PCI spec??? :) )

    Also speaking of that, what about systems that actually put pci devices on
    irq 16+? I've seen some (NT hated it, linux didn't care <eg> It was a
    supermicro dual ppro) board do it like the one I just meantioned. I believe
    some tyan boards (like the one I have, but mine doesn't allocate higher than
    15) do it as well.

    I wasn't aware that some pci devices don't like sharing IRQs. I didn't
    think it mattered.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:20.292 seconds]