    SubjectRe: updating the RTC automagically
    On 23 Nov 99, at 4:02, Marc Lehmann wrote:

    > > But many systems set the RTC while running Win*ooze. That will affect
    > > Linux time then.
    > So what?? Do you tell me that linux should fix windows bugs? Or that linux

    "coexistance", not "absolutism".

    > should be able to magically able to detect that the time chenged while it
    > was not running???

    These issus have been discussed before, quite complete. I won't
    repeat it here.

    > > > Doing it that way is absolutely wrong. Write a userspace deamon to change
    > > > the timezone, so people that really need the bloat can install it.
    > >
    > > That was what I had in mind roughly.
    > Good. How about a syscall that would say, in effect: "on the next minute
    > change, update the tzoffset".

    But that can be done with an at or cron job as well, not to say by a
    plain old user process.

    > > > Last I looked, sysctl is not able to recalculcate timezone offsets
    > > > regularly and schedule a timer for the next update. AFAIK it can only set
    > > > and get values in the kernel, no complex formulas.
    > >
    > > Hmm.. signed offset of RTC from UTC, wouldn't that be enough?
    > If done at regular intervals, yes. And since you then need something in
    > userspace you do not need a syscall.

    I can't follow your conclusion. "If we need something in userspace we
    don't need a syscall".

    > > The offset is a plain number every instant of time. Occasionally it
    > > changes, but this is not the kernels task to do that (the change).
    > > The kernel just does what is has been told to do (update the RTC or
    > > not, but do that correctly).
    > But this can already be done in userspace... why put it into the kernel???

    Because the kernel deals with hardware. Please reflect what the real
    problems with MS-DOS and Windows were: Programs accessing hardware
    using non-standard, non-portable interfaces.

    > This is my last post in this thread.
    > "modprobe /localvol/usr/share/zoneinfo/right/Asia/Shanghai"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.023 / U:2.828 seconds]