    SubjectRe: SOCK_PACKET still obsolete in 2.x with x >= 2?
    On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 01:52:21PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 10:34:49AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > I don't think they disappeared.
    > Hmm. Can't find the message in the kernel anymore.

    It is in net/ipv4/af_inet.c:inet_create

    > > Yes, it is still obsolete. See packet (7). SOCK_PACKET is evil because
    > > it requires libpcap to know about every possible link layer, with
    > > (PF_PACKET,SOCK_DGRAM) the kernel handles this abstraction. Alexey
    > > Kuznetsov's libpcap/tcpdump patches (
    > > fix it.
    > Thanks. I found that address when searching linux-kernel but my connection
    > was too slow to find out what's in there :) I know RedHat uses them also.
    > It seems tcpdump is maintained upstream again according to
    > I will check upstream and Alexey's patches.

    Alexey's patches unfortunately have a few semantics changes (e.g. -p
    reversed and some other stuff). I fixed it for the SuSE 6.3 tcpdump,
    unfortunately it is not on the ftp servers yet because the CD isn't shipping.

    > > They are e.g. used in the newest version of the SuSE tcpdump.
    > Hmm, so this is the reason for being able to dump from isdn interfaces?
    > Is it still possible to analyze ethernet frames for example?

    Of course.

    > > In the long run applying them (modulo the small nits like reversing the
    > > meaning of -p) will b ea good idea, because it'll save you a
    > > lot of work as tcpdump maintainer.
    > Sure. Thank you very much for this info. Hmm, this will require 2.2.x as
    > kernel, doesn't it? I would like to retain support for 2.0. I guess I
    > have to delve into this :)

    It falls back to SOCK_PACKET when PF_PACKET is not available

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.050 / U:8.832 seconds]