SubjectRe: SOCK_PACKET still obsolete in 2.x with x >= 2?
On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 01:52:21PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 10:34:49AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > I don't think they disappeared.
> Hmm. Can't find the message in the kernel anymore.

It is in net/ipv4/af_inet.c:inet_create

> > Yes, it is still obsolete. See packet (7). SOCK_PACKET is evil because
> > it requires libpcap to know about every possible link layer, with
> > (PF_PACKET,SOCK_DGRAM) the kernel handles this abstraction. Alexey
> > Kuznetsov's libpcap/tcpdump patches (
> > fix it.
> Thanks. I found that address when searching linux-kernel but my connection
> was too slow to find out what's in there :) I know RedHat uses them also.
> It seems tcpdump is maintained upstream again according to
> I will check upstream and Alexey's patches.

Alexey's patches unfortunately have a few semantics changes (e.g. -p
reversed and some other stuff). I fixed it for the SuSE 6.3 tcpdump,
unfortunately it is not on the ftp servers yet because the CD isn't shipping.

> > They are e.g. used in the newest version of the SuSE tcpdump.
> Hmm, so this is the reason for being able to dump from isdn interfaces?
> Is it still possible to analyze ethernet frames for example?

Of course.

> > In the long run applying them (modulo the small nits like reversing the
> > meaning of -p) will b ea good idea, because it'll save you a
> > lot of work as tcpdump maintainer.
> Sure. Thank you very much for this info. Hmm, this will require 2.2.x as
> kernel, doesn't it? I would like to retain support for 2.0. I guess I
> have to delve into this :)

It falls back to SOCK_PACKET when PF_PACKET is not available