SubjectRe: Kodak DC-265 overrunning linux serial driver?

Ted> Are you using an old IDE controller that does programmed I/O
Ted> (i.e., no DMA?). If so, look at the man page for hdparm's -u
Ted> option. That should make your problem go away. (The
Ted> explanation for the -u option will also explain why this isn't
Ted> the default.)

Ted, I get the same buffer overrun on two modern systems: a brand-new
Dell I3700 laptop, and a SCSI-only P2B-S motherboard. Furthermore, the
problem will occur when there is relatively little disk activity. On
the other hand, the error is much more frequent when there's significant
CPU load.

What about Brian's note about the overruns not occurring when he's
running a 2.3 kernel? Is there any significant difference between the
2.2 and 2.3 serial drivers that would account for this?

Ted> The other fix is to use UART's with bigger FIFO's. The Oxford
Ted> Semiconductor has a UART with a 128-byte FIFO, which is quite
Ted> nice.

Not really an option. We're trying to make a piece of software that can
be used on J. Random User's PC.

Jim
--
_ | .~.
_| ~- Jim Thompson | Yo quiero Linux /V\