SubjectRe: bug reintroduced in ide-geometry.c in 2.3.28

My bad again while tring to figure out if the drive present flag upset a
geometry interrupt call at INIT/PROBE/CHIPSET tuning.
It turned out that one only needs to stoke the GET_STAT(), else the
pending return barfs on the geometry calls since the drive is not ready.

In forgetting the reason why we agreed to stub it out, I thought I did it
while bug hunting for why some chipsets issued an exception thus
geometry_intr error.

Please give me some text to comment around the stub to keep my memory intact.
I remember now about the BIOS nuking........duh.........now where did that
go to again ;-)

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> Looking at 2.3.28 I see
> -#if 0
> drive->present = 1;
> -#endif
> in 2.3.28.
>
> That is incorrect.
> We want to head towards the situation where the BIOS
> information is not used at all. This is a step in the
> wrong direction. Indeed, this drive->present = 1;
> happens when the BIOS has detected some disk. However,
> this need not be an IDE disk, and if it is an IDE disk
> it need not be the one described by "drive".
> Thus, this assignment leads to errors.
> Since a disk need not be mentioned in the CMOS at all,
> and since this mechanism of peeking into CMOS only
> works for the first two disks, while all disks must
> be recognized anyway, it follows that we do not need
> this assignment.
>
> Please revert this change to linux/drivers/block/ide-geometry.c
> (line 68).
>
> Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.025 / U:1.064 seconds]