SubjectRe: Allowing WAN card driver to be built-in to the kernel

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > static struct device cpc1_dev =
> > {"cpc1", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, &cpc2_dev, NULL};
>
> You don't need these

If I don't have these, I get the following kernel msg:

early initialization of device cpc1 is deferred
early initialization of device cpc2 is deferred
(...)

> > static struct device cpc0_dev =
> > {"cpc0", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, &cpc1_dev, cpc_probe};
>
> Cal it something like "cpc_init"

I already have a function called cpc_init ... :)
Anyhow, let's focus on the problem for now. I can change the names later,
if necessary.

> > The problem is that as this is not a pointer, it can't be the same
> > structure as the one defined in Space.c (or can it??) and, thus, I don't
> > have how to tell the driver (and syncppp) to use the structure defined in
> > Space.c. If I use the Space.c definition in the driver, it will not be in
> > sync with the ppp_device structure, and that will surely cause problems.
>
> You dont want to use the structure in Space.c. Throw it away. For pci
> devices its actually just a legacy mess. Return a failure in the probe
> routine after allocating your new drivers

Even in this case, it would be better to have a pointer in ppp_device
instead of the structure itself. Imagine the case where the driver
supports several different protocols (which actually is the case of my
driver -- it supports X.25 as well as PPP/Cisco HDLC). In this case, I
would have to declare the ppp_device structure anyway just to use the
struct device inside it, and this doesn't sound right to me. Do you
agree??

Question: could you please tell me how I should implement this thing so
that I don't get the aforementioned msg ("early initialization ..."),
besides having the first device functional??

Regards,
Ivan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.313 / U:0.004 seconds]