SubjectRe: resending patch: Documentation/pci.txt
Bret Indrelee wrote:

> I sent this patch out on Nov 3, 1999. Looking at the lastest documentation
> available on kernelnotes.org, it didn't get applied.
>
> I'm resending it, hopefully it will not get discarded again.
>
> I put this together after a lot of discussion on this list about what the
> proper way of handling PCI initialization and access was. Since people told
> me to fix the documentation rather than just complaining, that is exactly
> what I'm attempting to do.
>
> If there is something incorrect in what I wrote, please let me know. I am
> not sure that the lines about
> check_region()/request_region()/release_region() are correct, there don't
> seem to be any PCI drivers doing this. I included it because Jeff Garzik and
> Martin Mares both said it was needed.

I don't know what the general intent of pci.txt is, only Martin can
answer that. Your addition IMHO seems like it belongs in a new
'drivers.txt' not specifically pci.txt, because a lot of the text
applies to all architectures.

Martin already added a pointer to IO-mapping.txt in recent kernels.

And, small error in your text, there is no base_address[] in 2.3.x
kernels.

--
Jeff Garzik | Just once, I wish we would encounter
Building 1024 | an alien menace that wasn't immune to