    SubjectRe: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers
    Date
    Followup to:  <Pine.GSO.4.10.9911141221440.2939-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>
    By author: Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > man csh. Ever used ~ftp in scripts? Ever moved the sucker around? Exactly.
    > Now, replace it with the setup when package foo sits in the directory
    > bar\baz and you bind x: to bar\baz. Setting all pathes in config as
    > absolute on x:

    I had a small login script on my DOS machine which would set up a
    SUBST drive U: to point to \USER\<foo> where <foo> was whatever the
    user entered at the login prompt. No password, since DOS didn't have
    security anyway. Then I set up all apps to keep their datafiles on
    U:<something>.

    ANVIN'S LAW: NO MACHINE AS BIG AS A DESKTOP COMPUTER IS TRULY SINGLE USER.

    Worked fine until Windows came along and all apps started actively
    encouraging people to *save their files into the program directory*!

    AAARGH!

    -hpa