    SubjectRe: ReiserFS and GPL...
    >"may not be integrated with non-GPL software" appears, to me, to refer
    >to software that is non-GPL *prior* to integration.

    You just made that up. It's not stated in the license, and it's clearly
    not in the intent of the license either.

    The GPL itself may not be integrated with non-GPL software. The act of
    integrating and distributing it MUST convert the other software to the
    GPL (for this distribution) because the GPL covers the entire
    distribution. If the GPL can't be construed to cover the entire work,
    then the other license is not GPL-compatible and the GPL code can't be
    integrated with it into a distributable work. Period. The other
    software is still available from the original source under the original
    license, but when distributed as part of a GPL work, it HAS TO BE
    covered by the GPL or the right to distribute the previously GPL part is
    not available.

    This has been referred to as the "viral" nature of the GPL. It infects
    other software it's compiled together with, at least as far as that
    distribution is concerned.

    "Before" is meaningless. Linux used to be under a different license.
    All software is not under the GPL until the author says it is. Software
    is created before the GPL is applied to it. I can arbitrarily DECLARE a
    piece of softare with a GPL compatible license to be under the GPL.
    That only applies to the copies I distribute, of course.

    I can hold a disk up in the air and say "this is now under the GPL!"
    Define "before"... You mean if it's ever distributed anywhere under a
    non-GPL license? 1) Reiserfs itself is distributed under such a
    license, 2) that's just not relevant to what I do or don't do in regard
    to distributing or modifying the copies of the software I have in my
    posession. Laws and licenses have the concept of "scope", you know...

    Do we have a "Licensing issues" FAQ? "What the GPL means and what it
    doesn't mean"? If not, perhaps we need one...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:24.460 seconds]