SubjectRe: disk corruptions on "tuned" disks Was: APM killing low-latency performance on BX mainboard
On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > thanks, but what is the exact problem source , DMA or unmask IRQ ?
> > DMA
> > > I'm watching DVDs for hours ( DMA enabled) without any lockups.
> > It may be ultra dma only bug. Im not sure. My DVDROM and CDROM both
> > support udma.
> I don't played with UDMA on CDROMS, only simple DMA.
> I don't care about a potential UDMA bug,

Lots of people do. For instance me 8)

> simple DMA solves all latency problems, and the performance
> difference between DMA and UDMA on a CDROM drive is almost
> zero. (since the CDROM is the bottleneck).

Try a 72x cdrom sometime. Yes they do exist.

> > > But are you sure that every ATAPI CDROM drive on the planet
> > > has this hardware flaw.
> > Its the controller not the CDROM at fault
> are you sured that the BX chipset is flawed ?
> It seems to work well.

I never said the Intel 440bx chipset is flawed. I said the VIA
VP3/MVP3/MVP4 is flawed. 440bx is fine AFAIK.

> > > I stressed my CDROM drives quite a bit, and was unable to lock up the box.
> > What controller and what drives
> Mainboard Gigabyte GA 6BXD (dual) with BX chipset.

Then you should be ok

> > > How is this handled my other OSes ?
> > They dont run DMA.
> Wrong: try to dig on deja.com searching articles about
> DVD software playback on windoze:
> for most people it is almost impossible to get skipfree video
> without DMA.

This is irrelevant if the controller cant run DMA (eg promise u66).

> > > PS: why should recent ATAPI CDROM let you set the DMA mode, when they
> > > know that it could lead to problems ?
> > Its the controller not the CDROM at fault
> I was wondering how much % of the controllers are faulty in this respect.

Lots. All VIA VP3/MVP3/MVP4 boards for example. This is a large percentage
of boards now shipping, especially asia

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.047 / U:0.284 seconds]