SubjectRe: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers
On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Michael Nelson wrote:

> > If NT really does what you describe... Well, small wonder that it's so
> > bloated.
> As far as I know, Chkdsk, the FS-specific checking DLLs, etc... are all
> user mode code. I don't know what mechanism Jeff is referring to re: auto
> invoking chkdsk on volume mounts, so I can't say how that's accomplished
> (probably makes a callback to user mode to invoke the utilities).
> -mike

Windows, here, both 95 and NT just do a chkdsk upon startup. Windows
doesn't have the notion of "mount". Maybe Win-2000 will have, but
nothing I've seen yet does.

---and, if the file-system can't be repaired, you just lose everything
and re-install windows, sometimes even if it was repaired. It depends
upon the "service-pack" number and the alignment of planets.
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).