    SubjectRe: [Fwd: Getting IOCTL's into VFS File System Drivers]
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: "Jeff V. Merkey" <>
    In newsgroup:
    > Alan/Ingo/Pavel,
    > Do you one you guys know a good way to get IOCTL calls into the FS
    > drivers? I noticed there is an IOCTL path for FILE objects, but there
    > does not appear to be a general purpose IOCTL call to the File System
    > Drivers themselves (but there is to symbolic devices files created by
    > these FS's). I basically need this for the utilities that create and
    > config volumes and mirroring so I can query as to whether a file system
    > is mounted from the tools, and prohibit users from blowing away volume
    > segments, namespaces, etc. while a volume is mounted. There are also
    > some question/answer stuff during boot from a Netware file system if
    > NWFSCK (Netware volume repair utility) gets invoked due to mounting
    > problems. I need to be able to pass back and forth, such as asking
    > whether an imcomplete mirror group should be activated and failing
    > mirrors dropped during system boot if FS errors are detected.
    > I am calling open() from the utilities with symbolic handles for device
    > objects (i.e. /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc.) and this is how I am creating
    > partitions, volumes, etc. Is there a symbolic handle that will map to
    > the FS driver so I can pass IOCTL commands between the utilities and the
    > file system driver, like /proc/filesystems/nwfs or something to that
    > effect? I religously poured over the code in Linux until 4 a.m. this
    > morning, and it doesn't look like this is supported.

    No, there isn't. You basically have two options: open the root
    directory of the filesystem and ioctl() to that (that is what autofs
    does); that is appropriate for per-mountpoint ioctl()s. The other
    solution is to have a conventional /dev node and have your filesystem
    driver also be a character device driver (this is quite trivial.)
    This is appropriate for non-per-mountpoint operations; ARLA for
    example uses this method.

    <> at work, <> in private!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.046 / U:4.392 seconds]