SubjectRe: genhd.c - can't turn DDO off!??
On Tue, Nov 09, 1999 at 11:34:57PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:

> Today I wanted to install Linux on a computer which had Dynamic Drive
> Overlay installed. I wanted to wipe that thing because it leads into
> problems when using Win98 on it and it is not needed anymore with
> the operating systems we were going to use.
>
> So I wrote a few nulled blocks to /dev/hda to wipe whatever originally
> was there. After installing Linux - big surprise: Ontrack survived that
> attack.
>
> After reading genhd.c I learned that the disk driver remapped everything
> so that the first 64 blocks are inaccesible under Linux. I think we
> should add a possibility to switch that feature of at runtime in case
> somebody really wants to lose ontrack without getting the install disk
> again just for wiping it...

Yes. But now let us read the Large Disk HOWTO:

If the Linux kernel detects the presence of some disk manager
on an IDE disk, it will try to remap the disk in the same way
this disk manager would have done, so that Linux sees the same
disk partitioning as for example DOS with OnTrack or EZ-Drive.
However, NO remapping is done when a geometry was specified
on the command line

(The details are a bit dependent upon kernel version.
This was written for 2.0.*. If you are running 2.3.*
and have problems, come back and I can explain the 2.3.* details.)

Andries - aeb@cwi.nl

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.044 / U:0.652 seconds]