    > From: Theodore Y. Ts'o []
    > Sent: Saturday, October 09, 1999 7:50 PM
    <snipped important message about needing a devfs alternative, at least for

    > What we need is a way to deal with allocation major/minor
    > numbers to USB
    > devices in a sensible way, without devfs[d]. As I see it, there are 2
    > options on the table:
    > 1) Allocate 1 (or more) major, and group the minors into pools based on
    > device type. i.e. 16 minors for printers, 16 minors for ACM, etc.
    > 2) Allocate 1 (or more) major, and use all of the minors as a
    > pool for all
    > devices
    > May I suggest another solution, which may be work out better? If you
    > assume the use of a user-space daemon (which both of the above solutions
    > require), have the kernel USB code allocate the major numbers
    > dynamically, and let the user-mode daemon get the major number(s) out of
    > /proc/devices as necessary. This avoids the problem you mentioned about
    > not liking the kernel to tie up extra major numbers just to accomodate
    > those rare systems with 800 USB devices.

    I like number #2 with your dynamic allocation of major (But then again, this
    is what I would like anyways, for all devices, not just USB ;-)). So now we
    to quickly decide if this is best, and then move on to making sure all the
    issues/races are hammered out, and implementation.

    -David Waite

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:1.352 seconds]