    SubjectRe: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device alloc ation) )
    On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

    > Hi Horst.
    >
    > >> The use of a config file to determine permissions/ownership is
    > >> not foreign to the kernel or filesystems.
    >
    > > Name one use of configuration files for local
    > > permissions/ownership on Unix/Linux.
    >
    > 1. Start with /etc/passwd which determines ownership of the actual
    > user accounts not just on Linux but on every UNIX compatible
    > operating system I've seen. Add /etc/group and /etc/shadow (if
    > applicable) to that.

    No... /etc/passwd maps numbers to names, the numbers are what
    actually own the files.

    > 2. Have a look at /etc/securetty which determines the ownership of
    > terminals that the superuser can log into.

    Again, a user-space config file for a user-space process
    (login).

    > 3. Have a look at /etc/hosts.{allow,deny,equiv} which determine
    > which hosts have permission to access your system.

    This is a config file read by user-space programs which accept
    connections.

    These are all config files for userspace programs, not the
    same thing as a config-file for permissions on a filesystem...
    Modifications to devfs modify kernel-space permissions, not
    even file-system space permissions, although they look like filesystem
    space permissions.

    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:62.160 seconds]