SubjectRe: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device alloc ation) )
Horst von Brand wrote:

> "Forever shall I be." <zinx@linuxfreak.com> said:
> > Jan Echternach wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > That is a flat out lie. With devfs, you can change the permissions just
> > fine (with chown/chmod/chgrp/whatever utility you feel like using that
> > works with other normal filesystems), and they will stay until the devfs
> > filesystem is unmounted, and possibly even until you reboot, though I
> > haven't tried that, and doubt it a bit... You could expect almost no less
> > from a ramdisk (though it would stay until reboot on a ramdisk unless you
> > reconfigured the ramdisk), or anything else that is stored on volatile
> > media.
>
> But you say, pemissions are permanent. What is it with you, is "permanent"
> like in "stays the same unless changed" somehow hard to grasp?

Excuse me? I'm not sure how this applies to what I said, but if you want
"permanent" permissions, use devfsd and update your config file with the
new permissions, or chmod the devices in an rc script, or even create the
devices with the right permissions in an rc script (yes, you can use mknod
to your hearts content)

> > > If /dev is frequently cleaned up by a script and re-populated with
> > > MAKEDEV whenever new hardware gets attached the situation is the same.
> > > The configuration file for permissions/ownership would be MAKEDEV.
>
> > What if you don't like the permissions MAKEDEV gives? devfs comes with a
> > set of permissions that is not unlike the ones in the MAKEDEV script; it
> > doesn't just blindly choose '777' as the permissions.
>
> Change MAKEDEV? Write a MAKEDEV that uses /etc/makedev.conf as default
> permissions when creating devices?

And this is different from using devfsd and changing the devfs config
file HOW? Please do enlighten me.

> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl
> Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513

A side note, not to you Horst, but to everyone involved in the devfs
thing, advocate or not.. We do need to decide on something, because the
current way of doing things will simply not work in the future, and the
only solution I've seen so far is devfs... I like devfs just fine, and
I'm at a loss as to other solutions that aren't a complete hack, but I'm
sure the developers would be happy to hear your thoughts, and hey, your
way might end up being the Right Way.

--
Zinx Verituse (finger @bliss.penguinpowered.com for pgp/gpg keys)(new jul10/99)
pgp9FE5C9747EB8FF329BB13199C4008E67/gpg574673A12184A27A9EC0EDCCE132BCEF921B1558

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.065 / U:0.348 seconds]