    SubjectRe: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a lloc ation) )
    On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > Shawn Leas <> said:
    > > From: Horst von Brand []
    > > >It stays in the source, developers have to take it into account,
    > > >device drivers will have to be written both ways (devfs and not), ...
    > > Wrong. The driver is written, and may or may not be adapted (with
    > > only a few lines of code) to the device FS.
    > It impacts all drivers then. Case closed.
    Having _actually_ dealt with a non-devfs driver under devfs:
    1. I had to make 0(zero)(NULL) changes for the driver to work
    with devfs. None. Nada. Not a line, character, or bit.

    2. Once devfs was installed I was able to make significant
    behavioral changes with many fewer lines of code than
    those changes would otherwise have taken. Less debugging,
    cleaner result.

    3. It wasn't until several weeks _after_ I had hacked all of
    this that I noticed that there were special functions
    available for devfs that would have let me do _more_!

    Daniel Taylor Senior Test Engineer Digi International Open systems win.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:38.612 seconds]