    SubjectRe: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device alloc ation) )
    Matthew Dharm <> said:
    > On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:
    > > /dev can be cleaned up using rm(1). devfs at one point used
    > > tarballs to handle permissions, now it doesn't, it uses a configuration
    > > file, which makes it even more strange and un-filesystem like. I don't
    > > use a config file to specify my permissions on my / partition.

    > I hate to point this out... but if the objection is to configuration
    > files, then what about /etc/fstab and the mount options that allow me to
    > mount CD-ROM drives and MS-DOS/FAT32 partitions as various users with
    > various permissions?

    In Unix, permissions on files are part of the files, not in some
    configuration file. /etc/fstab is a configuration file for mount(8), the
    information there can't be sensibly mapped on Unix owner/permissions. BTW,
    the entries there allow you to mount _iff_ you have permissions on the
    devices themselves. The permission bits are the systems' last (only?) line
    of defense against miscreants; permissions of devices are extremely
    critical, much more so than even the most critical normal files. Fooling
    around with this if there is no *extremely* good reason is out. Needless to
    say, I've seen only rather weak reasons for some scheme like devfs.

    > The use of a config file to determine permissions/ownership is not foreign
    > to the kernel or filesystems.

    Name one use of configuration files for local permissions/ownership on
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:1.072 seconds]