SubjectRe: Red Hat 6.1 version.h modifications
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> According to kernel@kvack.org:
> > On 6 Oct 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> > > On my (Debian) system, /usr/include/linux is _not_ a symlink to
> > > /usr/src/linux/include/linux and hasn't been for ages.
> >
> > Please explain how third party modules are to be compiled on such a
> > system? I have frequently have users calling tech support that need to
> > know.
>
> #! /usr/bin/make
>
> CFLAGS += -I/usr/src/linux-`uname -r` -I/usr/src/linux

Bzzzt. Unless Debian has changed something recently, their shipped kernel
source doesn't include the config and version information require to
seamlessly build modules out of the box. For cases when a driver has to
ship separately from the kernel, this means they have to go out and
properly configure, compile and install the kernel, and know what they're
doing in order to use the driver. This is too much to expect from every
single new user.

-ben

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:1.764 / U:0.012 seconds]