    SubjectRe: USB device allocation
    Khimenko Victor wrote:

    > P.S. It's the same as kerneld/kmod: it's not really needed -- you can load
    > module by hand when needed. But it's convenient to have them autoloaded when
    > needed. The same with devfs: driver is loaded ONLY when I try to use device.
    > It's CAN NOT be done without virtual filesystem.

    This is false. A skeletal device driver could be written that traps
    open() and inserts the correct kernel module for the device when open is
    called, passing the open args to the new driver. As long as there's some
    way to tell what the right module to load is based on the filename
    passed to open(), this approach should work find and does not require a
    virtual filesystem.

    Now, as to which way is more elegant ...

    alex

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:2.313 / U:0.236 seconds]