SubjectRe: Format of linux_logo.h
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.4.20.9910310019270.9892-100000@berta.local104>
By author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kevin_Ilchmann_J=F8rgensen?=
<kij@odense.kollegienet.dk>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Hi there,
>
> We want to put our own boot_logo in the kernel, when framebuffers is
> enabled. But the format seems a little spectacular. All of our graphical
> manipulation programs (ee, xv, gimp) can save the real format, but only
> B/W (.xbm). Anyone has a script or a link to another program that does the
> job?
>
> Or even better; a link to an URL that tells about boot logo with
> framebuffers enabled - the format's etc.?

An interesting thing: Open Source and GPL dictate that the format used
for a source file is the recommended format for editing. In the case
of an image, I would think that would mean .png or some other common
lossless image format (lossless, because you don't want to subject
your edit store to multiple lossy compression cycles.) A program
should be included to convert to the internally used format.

Note, that in order to not increase the set of programs needed to
build the kernel (which seems to occationally be a subject for
discussion), perhaps including the .h file *as well*; that way you
only need the extra tools if you're editing the logo.

-hpa