    SubjectRe: FD array expansion problem
    On Sat, Oct 30, 1999 at 06:16:16PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:07:15 +0200,
    > Ralf Baechle <> wrote:
    > >MIPS II instruction set and better and the Alpha don't have an xchg
    > >equivalent but ll / sc instructions, which are more universal. Using
    > >them to implement an xchg-like implementation however ends up as a
    > >a loop of at least five instructions which we'de prefarably want to avoid.
    > Same problem on i370. No atomic exchange, not even atomic inc, it all
    > has to be done using compare and swap and loop until successful.

    We don't have ll/sc instructions or compare-and-swap on pa-risc.
    I'd really like to be able to do this without disabling interrupts,
    but I don't think there's a way.

    Matthew Wilcox <>
    "Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of
    specific companies. Unix, by contrast, is not so much a product as it is a
    painstakingly compiled oral history of the hacker subculture." - N Stephenson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.021 / U:31.928 seconds]