       Date:   Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:29:02 +0100 (BST)
    From: Tigran Aivazian <tigran@sco.COM>

    Another case, where I really don't like the way Linux relies on big kernel
    lock is registering/unregistering filesystems. Currently it is only done
    either in initialization context or from module_init/cleanup which means
    we either don't need a lock or have a big kernel lock respectively. I
    would have preferred to see file_systems protected by a read-write lock
    whereby register/unregister take a write and all others take a read. When
    I wanted to do it I hit the obstacle - the way mount_root() walks through
    it sleeping on the way (in read_super())...

    Umm... it's not like registering/unregistering filesystems is a very
    common activity. If we need to take the Big Lock while we register a
    filesystem, it's hardly going to hurt anyone. It's not like this is
    done thousands of times a second. :-)

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.019 / U:0.300 seconds]