SubjectRe: /proc/pci unknown devices
   From: miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 26 Oct 1999 10:52:55 +0200

>32k of __initdata, _before_ it is compressed, is not a bad deal.

If it is discarded after boot, what about hot-plug PCI ?

It's a good point, but we may end up wanting to use different mechanisms
to deal with hot-plug devices versus devices detected on boot. Yes,
it's best if as much of the code path is shared as possible, but there
may be enough other differences with how we want to handle hot-plug PCI
that this isn't an issue.

At the very least, it's probably better to try to design a complete
hot-plug solution that to make guesses about what's the best way to
support to handle one tiny bit of the problem now. :-)

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.283 / U:0.584 seconds]