SubjectRe: /proc/pci unknown devices
Date
In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9910251423510.26006-100000@anime.net>,
Dan Hollis <goemon@sasami.anime.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:
>> > Which programs depend on /proc/pci ?
>> User's habits. ;-)
>> You seem to want to kill /proc/pci.
>
>Yup ;)
>
>> At a rough approximate, such a table without any king of space
>> optimization should not be greater than 16KB. Even twice this value does
>> not look unacceptable bloat to me, given the actual size of any kernel
>> ready to run for common configurations and common bloatwares we are using
>> from userland (Netscape, Emacs, Gcc, Perl, Bash and others as the Java
>> monstrosity really donnot care of sparing these 16KB of memory you seem to
>> worry about).
>
>For those running embedded pci systems the extra 35kb of wasted text
>strings is not really nice.

Easy solution to that; don't use those strings.

As other people have said, all you care about are the human-readable
strings for the devices you want, and you can, with the use of some
clever trickery (ioctls? writing to /proc/pci?) build a little
user-space daemon that picks out the vendor/device identifiers from
/proc/pci and, using the userland database that lspci (or whatever
it's called) uses to map vendor/device to names, write the strings
you actually need into /proc/pci.

And (similarly to devfs), if you don't want to use it, you don't have
to use it. There is a large body of Linux users who don't care to
have the kernel tell them anything, and thus /proc/pci will remain
uncluttered by nasty verbosity in that case.

>This is purely for user convenience, hence it can be in userspace with
>pciutils.

The spiffy thing about ``cat /proc/pci'' is that I don't need any
userland tools outside of cat and ksh. (And

while read line;do echo "$line"; done

doesn't even need cat.)

>Besides, lspci is 100,000x more verbose and useful than 'cat /proc/pci'.
>Is "user habit to type 'cat /proc/pci'" a good enough reason to keep it?

Yes.

____
david parsons \bi/ Bloating up userland to save 800 bytes of kernel data
\/ doesn't seem to be a tremendous win.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.036 / U:0.048 seconds]