SubjectRe: receiving broadcasts from host zero in a subnet?
On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 05:11:45PM +0400, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> You can make this with ip (ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/iproute2-*):
>
> ip route del broadcast 192.168.1.0

Thanks for the pointer I will try that.

> BTW could you tell me (for database of bogons), what firmware
> sends bogus packets, and what kind of packets it sends.

Uhm, oh. I have to admit that at some time in the past (around 1991)
I was the one that designed that boot protocol. It basically first
broadcasts officially from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255. But if the boot
server has more then one network interface card it broadcasts back on
every wire a so called orientation broadcast holding the network number
of that wire. The client then world retry its boot broadcast, this time
having that peculiar from address in the IP header. The boot server sees
that address in the from address and thus needs only one socket instead
of binding one socket for every interface card.

As this is an old obsolete protocol that we are supporting only for
backwards compatibility even in the Linux port of our software I believe
it would be enough if put the hint to that ip route command in the readme
file of our product.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>