SubjectRe: [patch] zmagic 2.2.13 fix [Re: binfmt_aout.c]
Date
In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9910231537180.483-100000@alpha.random>,
Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> wrote:

>About the flooding printk I believe we can left them inserted. You should
>have only binary-only stuff using the ZMAGIC format these days (and a
>printk each time you start the zmagic program is not an issue I think).

Wrong.

When I run 2.3.x kernels with the WE_HATE_AOUT nanny-code in, I
get literally thousands of messages shovelling into my syslog if
I run the kernel for any longer than just to boot the machine up
to see if the e820 stuff works.

If the grand scheme is to forbid a.out executables from a ``modern''
linux system, binfmt_aout should simply be removed from the baseline
kernel.

>If
>you are using GPL'd code in ZMAGIC format then you probably want to
>upgrade your system instead of removing the printk (or use an old 2.0.x
>kernel).

When you say ``modern'', do you mean ``modern'' as in stuff that
uses recent copies of the system programs, or stuff that uses the
politically correct executable format? Mastodon INST0050, which
was built completely from current source (except for the kernel,
because 2.3.x is somewhat broken, and the libc5 junk) last month
makes 2.3.x vomit out scads of ABSOLUTELY USELESS, BECAUSE I'M
NOT GOING TO SWITCH FROM USING A.OUT FOR MY USERLAND, error
messages.

>If we'll choose to remove the printk I'd like to take such a patch
>separated from the above production-bugfix.

If the grand scheme is to not allow a.out executables, then take
the binfmt_aout module out of the baseline kernel. I don't take
kindly to the idea of 7 machines spitting out "a.out executables
are evil" messages every 5 seconds to my log system.

____
david parsons \bi/ Take the fucking messages out.
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.043 / U:0.584 seconds]