SubjectRe: receiving broadcasts from host zero in a subnet?
On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:44:03AM -0500, Robert Manning wrote:

> The Requirements for Internet Hosts RFC dictates
> that such an inbound datagram must be silently discarded anyway.
> (You are not allowed to use a zero as the host source address,
> except in the specific case of 0.0.0.0, and then only during
> bootup from the network). -RFC 1122
>
> So,it would appear Linux is only doing what is required of it here.
> (Must silently discard such an inbound packet).

OK, I understand now that these datagrams are not standard. Unfortunately
I do have to cope with an existing device where it is rather difficult
to change the firmware, so I would probably need to patch the kernel
locally to allow for this standards violation. Does anybody have an idea
where in the kernel source I could find this check?

--
Jens-Uwe Mager <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>