    SubjectRe: receiving broadcasts from host zero in a subnet?
    On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:44:03AM -0500, Robert Manning wrote:

    > The Requirements for Internet Hosts RFC dictates
    > that such an inbound datagram must be silently discarded anyway.
    > (You are not allowed to use a zero as the host source address,
    > except in the specific case of, and then only during
    > bootup from the network). -RFC 1122
    > So,it would appear Linux is only doing what is required of it here.
    > (Must silently discard such an inbound packet).

    OK, I understand now that these datagrams are not standard. Unfortunately
    I do have to cope with an existing device where it is rather difficult
    to change the firmware, so I would probably need to patch the kernel
    locally to allow for this standards violation. Does anybody have an idea
    where in the kernel source I could find this check?

    Jens-Uwe Mager <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.018 / U:3.964 seconds]