    SubjectRe: receiving broadcasts from host zero in a subnet?

    The Requirements for Internet Hosts RFC dictates
    that such an inbound datagram must be silently discarded anyway.
    (You are not allowed to use a zero as the host source address,
    except in the specific case of 0.0.0.0, and then only during
    bootup from the network). -RFC 1122

    So,it would appear Linux is only doing what is required of it here.
    (Must silently discard such an inbound packet).