SubjectRE: crypto and fsck guys
On 18 Oct 1999, lcs Mixmaster Remailer wrote:

> I have just lost _ABSOLUELY_ everything
> of importance to myself. The reason? put

Strike 1: no backups of critical data.

OK. So I hadn't backed-up the data recently -
you can hold me on that one, however,
the HDD and underlying hardware check out
perfectly - backups usually guard against
hardware problems, one does not expect to
have to guard against _stable kernel_ or fsck
problems...

> quite plain and simply, two groups need to
> get their act together:

Strike 2: somebody else is at fault.

Well actually they are - you explain why when I ran
fsck 1.15 on a 2.2.12 int-patched kernel based
system, it didn't quit but decided to trash the
fs?

> 1). The international crypto guys
> 2). The above need to talk to the fsck guys
> because fsck just fscked up big time.

Strike 3: it's brooooken.

Well I believe that it is because everthing else
checks out fine.

> I run fsck to check the ext2 fs on my
> encrypted partition before it gets mounted,
> I don't expect fsck to provide the added
> "feature" of destroying that filesystem when

Strike 4: failed to RTFM and _others_ are at fault.

Nope, read every doc that came with it (and others).

> it was in fact completely stable, usuable
> and NOT in need of repair. I'm going
> to have to see my doctor now as I am the
> most depressed that I have ever been.

Strike 5 and final: used anonymous remailer to whine.

Would you send this kind of mail from your
_real_ address - er I think not. I don't want
idiots flaming me, I have a serious bug to
report and don't want 100s of crappy RTFM
mails...

Hmm... Diagnosis: terminal luser or troll on bad trip. Would you please
get lost?

Once again, I think you are being quite rude.
I am not "high" and I am not a troll. I do however
have a serious problem which needs to be fixed.

P.S. Thank you to Alan Cox for the backup comment - I
know that it is easy to backup the data to tape. I do backup
most stuff in case of HW failure, but don't expect the
software to be at fault (no I don't think it was
caused by random alpha particles hitting the disk -
I've run several surface scans which reveal that the
disk is fine).
--
Anon.