    SubjectRe: diff -X exclude_file for patching live kernels?
    Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > Does some kind soul have an exclude file for being able to run
    > diff -urN -X exclude_file linux linux-patched > my.patch 2>&1
    > i.e. I can put patterns like "*.o" ".config" etc etc but it will take time
    > to find them all out.
    > This would allow making patches from the compiled patched tree without
    > having to do "make mrproper" each time.

    I keep my "clean" tree uncompiled. (I copy it to
    linux-<version>.<machine> when I compile it for a specific machine in
    my cluster)

    I then touch (create 0-length files) the files in the old tree that I
    know to be new in the modied tree. I then do

    ln -sf linux-<version>.<patched> linux
    diff -ur linux-<version>.clean linux

    Note that this creates pathnames into a tree named "linux", just like
    Linus distributed his patches. (I still recommend going into the
    tree you want to patch and then use patch -p1)

    If you want to start building the exclude pattern, I would say that
    you should review the patch manually anyway. This weeds out some bad
    stuff anyway.

    ** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
    ------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.020 / U:8.548 seconds]