    SubjectRe: Linux 2.3.21 Gripes.
    Hi Mike.

    >>> It'll link now, but this beastie..

    >>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1052897 Oct 14 07:10 arch/i386/boot/bzImage

    >>> ..still can't be booted. (not by loadlin anyway.. is there a
    >>> protected mode bootloader for games98 anywhere?)

    >> I wouldn't know about loadlin as I've never used it, but I have
    >> booted a few kernels >1M (1,048,576 bytes) in size using LILO, so
    >> have good reason to suppose that it supports them.

    >> One kernel I successfully booted was a 2.2.12 kernel of about 1.3M
    >> in size, so well over both the 1M limit and the size of your
    >> kernel above.

    > Hmm.. maybe with some shameless thievery.. ;-)

    If you mean that I applied the patch I developed before compiling it,
    then I have to admit that such was indeed the case.

    > I'll soon need to boot large kernels, but can't risk the boot
    > block(s) on this poor beat up old box. (no floppy, no bootable
    > cd, yuk bios:)

    The only place I ever put LILO is in the boot sector of whichever
    partition contains the /boot directory, and NEVER in the MBR, and as a
    result, I never have any problems with other OS's corrupting the MBR.
    They are welcome to do what they wish with it, as I can soon use even
    the Win95 fdisk to specify that it should boot from the relevant Linux
    partition.

    Best wishes from Riley.

    PS: The kernel versions page is now back online at the URL below, and
    includes separate sublists both for each kernel series, and for
    each year of development.