SubjectRe: Linux 2.3.21 Gripes.
Hi Pavel.

>> * 1MB+ Kernels: I don't know the precise breaking point, but it
>> is not nice after a 25minute compilation to discover your kernel
>> is too big. I know there are technical reasons, but this is an
>> issue that'll have to be addressed sooner or later, and getting
>> started sooner does have advantages.

> You type make bzImage and it will rebuild under one minute (no
> actual recompilation). Alternatively just _always_ use make
> bzImage.

Unfortunately, `make bzImage` as currently implemented doesn't handle
kernels over 1M in size, so your suggestion doesn't work here. I'm
currently working on fixing this so `make bzImage` can handle kernels
up to 15M in size, but it isn't at all easy...

For those interested, I recently released to the Linux-Kernel mailing
list a patch that allows kernels larger than 1M to build successfully,
although the said kernel images will NOT boot from the in-built loader
(they need LILO, SysLinux or some other externel loader to load them).
The said message has made it back to my system via the list, so should
be out there for those interested.

BTW, `make zImage` stops at 508k, not 1M.

Best wishes from Riley.

PS: The kernel versions page is now back online at the URL below, and
includes separate sublists both for each kernel series, and for
each year of development.