    SubjectRe: Updated i386 bootcode rewrite patch...

    I see that the patch submitted by Chris Noe <>
    requires a minimum of binutils-

    Chris Noe says:

    Simple patch that takes all the as86/ld86 stuff in arch/i386/boot and
    makes it use standard GNU as/ld. Needs a minimum of binutils-,
    but that's it (that is the minimum per Documentation/Changes for 2.2
    anyway). I'd love to see this squeeze into 2.3 as a 'bugfix' as no new
    features are anywhere to be found, I swear. :)

    As I read Documentation/Changes, it currently states that
    the minimum binutils required is
    - Binutils ; ld -v
    It also mentions, but does not require

    Chris Noe says that "This thing has been tested by many people"
    but if this is what made it into linux-2.3.21 then none
    of those people were running binutils

    I didn't here back from an Chris Ricker
    Re: bbootsect.s Error: base/index register must be 32 bit register
    on updating Documentation/Changes to reflect this new requirements for
    binutils clearly.

    David Dyck

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.019 / U:6.140 seconds]